Sunday, November 02, 2008

From our president

November 2, 2008 / 4 Cheshvan 5769


Dear WUPJnews readers:

I am writing to you personally to let you know that, after much thought, and in consultation with family, friends, colleagues and lay leaders of the World Union for Progressive Judaism, I have reached the decision to leave my position as president at the end of the year, and to seek other avenues for my professional and personal fulfillment.

I came to serve the World Union seven years ago with a vision for the worldwide Progressive Jewish community, and began preparing the building blocks to inspire greater involvement and a deeper sense of solidarity among all our constituents, to enhance our impact and expand our reach. Changing realities have reduced my ability to realize this vision. This year, undertaking to spend most of my time fund-raising in the United States, away from my home and removed from the hub of activities of the World Union in Jerusalem, altered the focus of my position and made it clearer that this is not the path I would want to pursue for the long term.

I am proud and grateful to have had the opportunity to play a role in the exciting accomplishments of the World Union during my tenure. We have seen expanded programs and marked improvements in the functioning and impact of our organization around the world. We have more than doubled our annual budget to over $7 million. Recent major gifts for both capital and programmatic needs make me confident about the potential for the future, even as we face challenging times. With our strong and committed professional team, and, similarly, the many lay leaders with whom I have been privileged to serve, I believe we have the capacity to grow and thrive. I pledge my full cooperation and support during the transition and beyond to the new leadership.

I’d like to thank you for your confidence in me, and for your friendship. I will conclude my term of office at the end of December 2008, and hope our paths will cross often. I wish us all great success in our shared global mission to strengthen Progressive Judaism and the Jewish people.



B’Shalom,

Rabbi Uri Regev, President

Post ANDRE MOSHE